Sunday 12 September 2010

The Autumn Fair Tradeshow - Fantastic Launch and Lessons Learned!

We're just back from exhibiting at the Autumn Fair at the Birmingham NEC.  It was the launch of Little Jet Setter and it was fantastic, but there are a few things I would do differently next time...

Firstly, I would NEVER plan to do a countdown to launch on a blog site.  Talk about fashioning a rod for one's own back.  In the lead up to the big show, the last thing I could manage was forced creativity in the form of "Top Ten" lists.  So I bailed on the idea and the last one on the blog was Top 11 Disaster moments with Toddlers...yep...that was 11 days before the event.  Oh well, you can only do so much. (Note to self:  use all my fun ideas for countdown days 10-1 in the coming weeks!).

Secondly, I would not order so much booze.  I know - a very un-me thing to say!  But prosecco is not as much fun when you are hauling bottles of it across the tradeshow at the end of the day.  Our launch bubbles were great fun, especially because we got to share them with the stands around us and some new customers.  In particular the fun ladies at Totseat were our buddies for the week - wouldn't have made it without them to roll our eyes at the 45th time we heard "Big girls you are beautiful..." playing from the exhibition music gods.

Thirdly, I would have planned for better footwear.  It was great having a super fantastic stand and all the planning for the details of how it was going to look.  I should have taken 10 minutes out to assess my planned shoewear.  I was coveting others' Fit Flops when I mooched around in sensible heels.  (I know...rookie mistake).  I thought a heeled croc would work...I was wrong!  On the topic of footwear, can someone please explain to me how people choose to strut around in 4 inch Christian Louboutin's at a tradeshow that covers 190000 m2?!?  Some strutting buyers even took the uniform to dance floor level - little black dresses and updo's.  Strange.

But all in all, the launch of Little Jet Setter was great fun and a rousing success.  We got great interest from some of the big name multiples and loads of great independent stores.  Next tradeshow stop Cannes for the TWAA show!

1 comment: